Adobe does offer educator and student prices, which are relatively
affordable.  But about a year ago I ponied up $140 for Acrobat X, via an
educational reseller, and never could get the damn thing installed because
of the "Adobe Paranoia" (trademark pending) in terms of all the
often-conflicting security/install hoops one has to jump through.  I still
have, and use, Acrobat 8 Pro quite happily, but otherwise refuse to pay the
price for its products.

--tj

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Steve Smith <sasm...@swcp.com> wrote:

> Gil -
>
>  Hi all SFCC in it's devign wisdome is teaching Adobe CS products.
>>
>> Suficed to say It'd be handy to have at home-for eas of completing
>> classes-and might be handy later.
>> However I am wincing at the 600 Adobe is asking for there latest software
>> sweet ("CS6")
>> Any ideas where to get it a bit less?
>>
> Short of a bootleg/pirate copy or someone generous who isn't using theirs
> I think the price is as good as it gets.
>
> For the rest of us (non-educational), the price is closer to $3000,
> depending on details?  Wait until you check out the AutoDesk suite!
>
> They do offer CS6 in bits and pieces for educational as well, I think...
> so getting one or two tools is a possible way to save?  The good news is
> that CS6 is a totally professional tool suite and when mastered, you will
> be prepared to play in the big leagues, unhampered by ad-hoc or limited
> tools.
>
> It's a tough paradox.
>
> - Steve

J. T. Johnson
Institute for Analytic Journalism   --   Santa Fe, NM
USA<http://www.analyticjournalism.com/>
505.577.6482(c)                                    505.473.9646(h)
Twitter: jtjohnson
http://www.jtjohnson.com                  t...@jtjohnson.com