http://www.gimp.org/windows/

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Douglas Roberts <d...@parrot-farm.net <mailto:d...@parrot-farm.net>> wrote:

    No one has mentioned the GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program) as
    a free alternative.

    Functionally equivalent, +/- to Photoshop according to lots of
    reviews.

    --Doug

I use GIMP as an alternative to Photoshop *all the time* but Photoshop is the *least* of what I'd want CS6 for... not sure what Gil is working on but I don't know any reasonable open-source alternative for Illustrator or their web design or video effects and editing tools.

I understand Gil's irritation that his educational institution "sets him up" for expensive commercial software... on the other hand, if he's training to work in the field he will almost surely need skills with that specific toolset. The myriad piecewise alternatives are great and anyone worth their salt should learn *those too*!

I agree with Tom about the Adobe Paranoia, and I don't use their commercial Acrobat stuff either... I was "there" when they hammered out their strategies (early 90's) for PDF code-named "Carousel" to become "Acrobat". I was trying to move LANL from a microfiche/film/paper environment to a digital one... and Adobe were very helpful/friendly (for obvious reasons!). The revolution they caused with PostScript was key to many things, but the way they defined and cornered the market with PDF/Acrobat felt almost evil. But then the "adults" in the same general business (Xerox, IBM, Kodak) were already sold out and corrupt (IMO), Adobe had to get successful first.

The efforts afoot with NeWS and NeXT at the time to use PS as the onscreen rendering model was killer... I'm still not sure what really killed all that (Owen, do you know?)...

With CS6 going for hundreds (educational) and thousands (commercial), of course they are paranoid! I suspect that very few people outside of North America and Europe pay a penny into Adobe's coffers... I'm sure that market cash all goes to Pirates and Bootleggers and the Strongmen who enforce the rules, egos, and hierarchy that go with illegal activity.

I knew Adobe when they were 30 employees on one floor of a building in San Jose... I have to say I'm *glad* they pulled it all together the way they did, their tools are stellar... but also... my cheapskate (information wants to be *free* as in *free beer*!!!!) side resents them nearly as much as MicroSnot. But I think of them more like AutoDesk... having recognized a huge niche and worked hard for decades to fill it well (for the most part). But just like international petroleum megacorps, my life is apparently better (for the moment) because of them, but that doesn't mean I don't mistrust them with my future and resent the velvet cuffs they are fashioning for my every appendage.

Meanwhile, yes! use GIMP and OpenOffice, and everything else... The megacorps may own the preferred *answer* but they don't own the *question* or the myriad answers *to* the question! Viva la Diversite! Let the broiling froth of innovation and invention emerge us some new answers to old questions and perhaps even spandrel out some new *questions* to the many paradoxes implied by life itself. (over the top yet?)

- Steve

PS... In regards to my use of "spandrel"... "you can verbize any noun".
PPS and as a reward for Doug (and anyone else) for reading the whole diatribe (or cutting to the chase)... I have a fifth of Stranahans (Colorado Distillery) and a coolish (after dark) courtyard to sip it in. It's time again!

    On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Tom Johnson <t...@jtjohnson.com