Good points, Mike. I see aggressive authoritarianism as a developmental stage. This behaviour did not start in the 20th century, it starts as humans develop a sense of individual self. Not just societies ( or "religions" ) but all human effort - from an infant growing to adulthood to our shared global culture - have to wrestle with growth through shifting value systems.

Our desires are influenced by what we see outside- our ability to responsibly handle those desires has to develop inside us. The two are often in conflict. It's human nature. ( A glitch in the programming, eh, a broken link somewhere. Who designed these brains, anyway?)

The same goes for societies. The 8-year old wanting the keys to the Camaro, the 15-year old wanting access to billions of dollars, or to heroin, the 19-year old wanting to be king, or pope, or the Unibomber....

The immediacy of communication and access to technologies means that across the globe we are at different stages, but we are confronted by all the differences. We see them, they impact our perception, and we have to find our cultural solutions in the face of all this knowledge.

Earlier in human history, we didn't know about them, and our growth was more self-referential. Not less violent, but usually smaller scale in its effects. Again, you'll see this progression in kids as well as organizations and societies. Now we see everything, immediately, and people at any developmental level can access information and technologies that were developed in another developmental level.

It reinforces that we are in this together. No matter how divided we feel from each other as a species, we have one planet, one set of resources, and one shared meta-meme-field we create and inhabit. To survive we will have to figure out how to work with each other, whatever our developmental level. Rapid growth and a wider sense of responsibility for our actions - small and large- is demanded of all of us.
        Exceptions do not exist. Earth is a closed system.

        Tory