I know we have some Aussies on this list who may be able to keep me honest, but an Australian friend of mine, in response to this debate and this incident claimed that until 1996, the Australian gun ownership was not that much different than our own. As the consequence of a mass shooting at Port Arthur in 1996, their newly elected PM, (Nationalist?) John Howard organized a massive effort to change the gun control laws. It is claimed that this, along with subsequent "gun buyback" efforts, yielded a significant downturn in gun violence (and completely eliminated gun-massacres?).

Australia has a lot on common with our own "wild west" where guns are *most* popular. Some significant differences, however, include: No Revolutionary War (and the subsequent desire to have a right to bear arms); No Civil War (and a subsequent over-abundance of disenfranchised confederate soldiers practiced in gunplay and seeking glory (or at least a new life) in the wild wild west; and no significant Firearms Industry (as opposed to the US which has perhaps the largest?

So yes, the Gun-Lobby has a big play... and campaign finance reform (and other efforts to blunt political corruption?) might help.

Is it me or isn't it obvious that without campaign finance reform we won't be able to pass any reasonable gun control laws because of the NRA?

Robert C