It seems to me the knee-jerk response to this sort of thing is to improve detection and mitigate consequences, as with gun control I'd guess detection can and will be defeated by someone like this (in part because he probably has someone helping him, like his mother), and consequences can't be prevented in some cases. In a few years people will be able to go to Kinko's and print-out weapons on 3D printers. How will gun control work then?
It will work just fine. We will go to Kinko's and print out something that renders your printed out weapon useless, at least for awhile. There will always be some mod to the regulation regime that will defeat the self-entitled folks that want to amuse themselves by gaming the system, at least for awhile. Its an iterative process.

Other countries have gun control systems that work pretty well, at least much better than ours. So we have models to look at and reverse engineer as we iterate.

Carl