Marcus G. Daniels wrote at 01/18/2013 09:19 AM:
> Still, I think it is important to try to push any enduring group toward
> polite behavior, however short-lived.

OK.  But the deeper problem is the definition of politeness, especially
as a vanishing point ideal.  To stress the point, I could argue that, if
the clique endures, then whatever behavior they engage in already
defines politeness, regardless of how impolite their behavior may seem
to an outsider.

A personal example is all the touching, hugging, and pressing the flesh
people seem to love.  I had a boss for awhile that seemed to think it
positive to pat his male employees on the back on a regular (like ...
high frequency regular) basis.  He's a good guy and I kinda like him
otherwise.  But that incessant touching was seriously irritating. Ugh.

--
glen