The interesting thing about making fun of people is the amount of
peripheral or contextual information that's necessary.  I'm not really a
fan of Louis C.K.  But if you watch his stand-up, you can see him say
the nastiest things without it seeming so nasty.  He says these things
while smiling or laughing.  Of course, he's not a wild-type subject
because you know he's a comedian tuned to his audience.

But I can also confess that my dad was a master at deadpan cruelty.  Not
only were we (his family, but mostly my mom) his victims, but I would
watch him, in bars [*] and at the Wurstfest, shred someone completely
without them having any clue what was happening.  The smarter ones would
notice that, while he was "ribbing" them, he would watch them extra
closely.  So, they learned to recognize when they were the butt of the
joke by watching him as he told his "story".  At his funeral, they would
wax poetic about the "twinkle in his eye" when he was telling a joke.
Of course, this behavior tended to slough off the people who were just
smart enough, yet just insecure enough to recognize when they were the
butt of a joke, but not able to recognize it as a joke.

That said, my dad was a bully of the first order.  If you were too
insecure to _take_ the joke, then you were a wimp and a coward.  He used
his abilities to engineer swaths of people so that they behaved as he
wanted them to behave.  And the ones that didn't play along were
ridiculed and pushed out of the clique.  Luckily, he couldn't do that to
me. ;-)

[*] I was practically reared in a bar called Lloyd's.  Lloyd was a
one-armed bartender who taught me how to open a beer with one hand at
the age of about 8.  Oh, and Lloyd had also had a laryngectomy and while
not opening beers with his one arm, had to hold a wand to his throat in
order to speak.

--
glen