1) I use a PC, because I am cheap and lazy .

2) This sort of thing is a ubiquitous problem on PCs, and is sometimes a
problem for Macs depending the exact operating system (but I've never seen it
as bad on a Mac as it usually is on a PC).

3) I would be suspicious of a store-bought expert helping with this... and as
has been suggested, an expert friend should be cheaper (though not necessarily
free, as it is time consuming).

4) I know how to use the resource monitor, and often find that it is not
telling me what I want to know. The long list of Processes often does not seem
to account for what the Performance screen tells me is the CPU Usage and
Physical Memory Usage. I've never really figured out why this discrepancy
occurs... but I haven't tried hard to find out. It is certainly annoying.

As suggested, a complete wipe will fix the problem. I have rarely done this...
but usually am thinking about getting a new computer at about the time the
problem is annoying enough that I would consider a wipe... and switching to a
new computer is pretty much the same thing as wiping the old one. If you do not
use too many programs, a wipe might be relatively easy.

Also worth noting: Depending on your computing needs, $200 is a significant
fraction of the cost of a new machine.

Eric

--------
Eric Charles