All,

When I first moved here, seven years ago, Owen set me down and eldered me
concerning "citizens like me" who have no respect for threads, whereas,
people like YOU, people who really are experienced with computers, see the
importance of not bending threads But this is the worst gang of @##!@&%
thread benders I have ever had the misfortune  to talk  with.  Thus, I now
find myself in the unlikely role  of the FRIAM thread fascist.   Owen, you
can pass me the Official Gavel, next time we meet.

ANYWAY, thank you Glen for steering us back at least part toward the
question I raised, which was about whether complexity and instability were
related.  Owen introduced what I would call the Jenga (quod googlet
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenga> ) model of complexity - you keep adding
stuff until it's so baroque  the whole thing falls over when you touch it.
But even tho I started the argument, I am not sure what is the operating
definition of complexity we are working with.  I have have two quite
contradictory definitions floating around in my head: (1) the number of bits
and pieces x the number of kinds of bits and pieces or (2)the number of
organizational levels in the system.   The two definitions work at cross
purposes in my head because I think of heaps of stuff as being unstable and
hierarchical systems as (usually) stable.

Glen now introduces (with respect to programming languages) a new dimension,
expressivity vs generality.  I know j.s. about computer languages, but the
metaphor of expressivity is intriguing to me, particularly when opposed to
generality.  Is the genetic code expressive or general?  And how do they
related to complexity.  And what is YOUR working definition of complexity.