I probably should not pick such a nit, but all of Silicon Valley would
haunt me for years.

The term actually used there is "civilian".  I don't know exactly why it
was became so popular in the 70's but I believe it is when it was first
used relating to computing.

Naturally it was used by the military derisively forever.

Back to the show!

   -- Owen