I have no problem with people following such an approach but for most of us in
the scientific community it doesn't work.

Consider two examples: mathematical software and graphics/GPU capabilities.

Much of the mathematical software that is still crucial to many of us was
developed back in the 50's and over the years has involved thousands of
person-years of development. If that won't run on
the latest hardware it is disastrous for most application users who cannot and
should not have to go back and "fix" the libraries.

The development of graphics hardware and software was originally driven by the
scientific community. When graphics hardware moved to the chip level, games
dominated because not only did the hardware become inexpensive but the game
players were buying the software. The people represented on this list have gone
from being major buyers of hardware and software to a very minor part of the
revenue. If you look at the capabilities of GPUs, they are determined by what
game players want. So, for example,  those of us in the visualization community
have to figure out how to use what we is available rather than having
significant input into what will be available. If you want some further
evidence, take a look at the membership of Kronos committees. The research and
education communities are almost totally unrepresented on any of them and they
are the ones that are setting the standards that will determine the next
generation of hardware and software.

Ed

Ed Angel

Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory (ARTS Lab)
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico

1017 Sierra Pinon
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-984-0136 (home)                     an...@cs.unm.edu
505-453-4944 (cell)                             http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel