Thanks for your input, everyone. It sounds like I would be happy with an iPad.
I haven't been able to try an iPad 3 or 4 yet - believe it or not, the newest
iPad for sale here in Ecuador is the iPad 2, and it runs about $700 for a 16GB
wireless model. So, stores aren't too big on letting you play with them. I have
tried a few books on a friend's iPad 2, and was a bit bothered by the lower
resolution (as compared with the 3 and 4) at typical book reading distance.

Echoing Roger's experience of reading on a phone, I do have an iPhone 4S, and
find it surprisingly usable for re-formattable text. I've read around 20-30
novels on it, and with +3 reading glasses, I can read tech book sized PDFs in
landscape mode (not that comfortably, though).

Now, I guess my big decision is iOS vs Android. I used to be nearly an Apple
fanboy, but am starting to view them as the new 800 pound gorilla. It just
seems wrong to support a platform that only supports software sold and approved
by a single vendor, that can only be developed in one language. Has anyone had
a chance to see the Nexus 7 or 10?

;; Gary