From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of Steve Smith
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:18 AM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: [FRIAM] Googlezon and phonotactics

Eric -

Great observation.   I'm very interested in the power of how things are
*shaped* in their ability to persuade (all perceptions, with sound being
unique).  It also ties into synaesthetic experiences.   Your description of
the hypothetical Douglas Adams creature is a good example of how the sound
of the name is highly suggestive of it's shape/etc.   Another aspect of the
Structure/Function duality.

I do suspect that the EPIC2014 folks chose Googlezon specifically for it's
phonetic reference to Godzilla...

My wife watches a lot of movies on her computer/iPad while she works, where
I cannot see them.  I am generally not interested in the content of the
movies themselves, so do my best to ignore the dialog.  But I cannot ignore
the soundtrack, the shape of the music and the dialog and the ambient
sounds.   It is an entertaining (if sometimes distracting) experience.

I also enjoy the phonotactics of poetry and literature and marvel at the
writers who can manipulate my emotions through the shaping of the sounds
behind the writing (and no, I don't move my lips while I read, but I *do*
hear eloquent writing as I read?).

I have tried to follow some of the Neuro Linguistic Programming literature
but got put off by the cultish mind-control factions there to the point of
letting that line drop.  If you have more serious references to send me to,
I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
 - Steve

Don't mean to thread hijack, but it seems this thread was pretty far gone
anyway.

I must say that the English phonotactics are really on display here.

Googlezon sounds like something big, heavy and vaguely dangerous, a kind of
Golem but somewhat clunky and difficult to take seriously, like the monsters
in old Japanese semi-animations.

Amazoogle sounds like something from a Douglas Adams book, with a long
wiggly trunk and lumpy multicolored skin, probably involving purple and
green coloration and perhaps spots, and even more difficult to take
seriously.

Now why would that be?  Syllable-initial stops versus vowels and sibilants?
Stress on the final versus the penultimate syllable?  A reduced final vowel
in the latter that kind of dribbles away?  Must ask my psycholinguist
friends for a breakdown.  I'm sure they have nothing better to do.