To see what a MOOC is like, Ruth Chabay and I took the Udacity CS 101
course.

We were impressed by the course design. The description of the course said
that "In about 7 weeks you will build a small search engine, even if you've
never written a computer program before". This goal statement is very clear
and very challenging. All through the course, new CS concepts were
introduced in a way that made it clear how the concept would serve the
course goal, thereby providing motivation and continuity. The "blackboard"
presentations were clear, and frequently interrupted by the equivalent of
"clicker" questions used in large lectures in many universities now (the
students have simple handheld wireless devices to respond to
multiple-choice questions).

The programming language was Python, which is a particularly good choice for
novices. Homework consisted of writing functions that took sample input and
produced specified output. We uploaded our functions, which were run on
input data unknown to us and marked correct if all the inputs produced the
correct outputs. There were occasional breaks in the action to discuss
questions that had been raised in a forum. The instructor, David Evans, was
excellent in his presentation and choice of examples. All in all, a class
act. We went through the whole course out of curiosity, and we too were
occasionally challenged by extra "challenge" problems that were not
required.

Bruce