Owen,

I didn’t follow the following:

Oh, and to also challenge Nick in a philosophic conversation wherein he
brings his background to the topic and me my naiveté.

You are WAY more sophisticated about MOOCKY things than I am.  And all I
brought to bear was my personal history, in which face to face and
peer-to-peer education was pretty important and in which large lectures …
except for providing flashes of inspiration and a place to dose and smoke –
didn’t do me much good.   As for philosophy, the more I read and work with
philosophers, the more I realize how little I grasp of it.  To qualify as
any kind of representative of philosophy, I now see that I would have to
read Kant, and I know I am just too old to do that.   So, I reject your
implication that you an innocent  adrift in a complex world of my creation.

I do know that I believe in the educative power of irony, and there is
something deeply ironic about our discussing the transformative power  of
MOOOOCKs  in higher education in the coffee shop of anAmerican educational
institution so ferociously committed to face-to-face education that they put
TWO tutors in each seminar.  The biographical information that this
conversation has revealed has been fascinating to me, and I would like to
hear more of it.  What about your educational biography?  I would love for
this conversation to go on.

Nick

PS, I was going to say, “Don’t make a MOOCKERY of higher education!”  But,
you notice, I didn’t.  N