Replies in-line, below.

Ray Parks
Consilient Heuristician/IDART Program Manager
V: 505-844-4024  M: 505-238-9359  P: 505-951-6084
NIPR: rcpa...@sandia.gov<mailto:rcpa...@sandia.gov>
SIPR: rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov<mailto:rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov> (send
NIPR reminder)
JWICS: dopa...@doe.ic.gov<mailto:dopa...@doe.ic.gov> (send NIPR reminder)

On Mar 14, 2013, at 11:43 AM, Owen Densmore wrote:

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Douglas Roberts
<d...@parrot-farm.net<mailto:d...@parrot-farm.net>> wrote:
Oh come on guys, Google never makes a mistake. Ever.

--Doug

OK, how's this for specific.  Try these on:

Do you think Android will last?  I don't mean "will it completely go away" but
will google, for example, drop out of the Android consortium and let the
handset makers carry the load?

If Google drops Android, then it will not last - the handset makers will
fragment it in order to have distinguishing features/selling points.  If Google
sets up the Open Handset Alliance with funding, it might be able to keep the
handset fragmentation at bay.

Will G+ be dropped?  After all, it mainly gives a Facebook-like world for most
folks.  G+ is "better" from our standpoint, but I use twitter 100x more than
either FB or G+ and FB has the masses and will never loose them. So G+ is just
catch up and niche.

Probably not - Google seems to be pushing single sign on through G+ in order to
better track people for targeted advertisement.

How about Chrome?  I think that is the more likely to remain stable forever
simply because they depend on a browser as the root of all that they do.  Ditto
the Dev Tools which are superb. Hopefully solid.

I agree - Chrome is probably a long-term investment.  Especially since it is
their vehicle to get users to single-signon through G+.

How about Chrome OS? The twitter world is betting on Mozilla over Google in the
browser-as-OS world.  Possibly because Brenden Eich became CTO recently.  Also
their phone promises a way to have "responsive design" webapps become
universal, getting rid of the need for customized android/iphone/windows apps.
That's a pretty big win for perplexed companies moving into mobile.

Unless Mozilla can get out of their cruft rut, their browser-as-OS will be
really slow and unresponsive.  As much as I like Firefox and its security
plug-ins, I've had to give up on it on my Android phone - it's a memory and
processing hog.  Firefox has grown bigger and slower with every version.  Also,
Mozilla doesn't have desktop applications ready.

How about Dart?  Consider ASM.js vs Dart.  Which would you bet on?  I'm still
betting on Mozilla's ASM.js because its simply more fundamental and
understandable and even is part of a C++ to JS translation effort

Apples vs Oranges - asm.js is a subset of javascript for which Dart is a
ground-up replacement.  The real comparison is how much penetration has Dart
made into implementations (apparently, negligible).