On 03/19/2013 07:03 PM, Steve Smith wrote:
> do you have any references I could follow?  The "Twitch Ontology" would
> be new to me (excepting what you just wrote).  It felt as if it
> explained human behaviour as an automaton, but obviously more than that?

No references.  As far as I know, I made it up. 8^)  I'm sure I've
stolen it from somewhere, though.  If I were to cite anyone, it would be
Lima de Faria and "autoevolution".  But it's also inspired by
autopoiesis. And there's a good dose of this mixed in:

   http://www.gprolog.org/manual/gprolog.html#htoc342

I think I began thinking this way back in college when I eavesdropped on
an argument between a physics and a chemistry major who were arguing
about what "absolute zero" means.  Sorry for not being a "scholar".
I've long lamented my inability to keep track of where I get ideas.

I wouldn't say it attempts to explain human behavior as automata.  It's
more an assertion that there is really only 1 source of all the variety
we see around us, the impetus to fill/explore a space.  I haven't yet
decided if it's a categorically different thing that the rest of
matter/energy.  Human (or any, including quantum foam) behavior is just
an artifact of the twitch sampling a constrained space.  The constrained
space has properties, including being more or less dense in various
dimension.  The denser the space, the more options/points the twitch has
to explore.

>> So, there are no types of twitch, there is only twitch.  That doesn't
>> imply any sort of determinism.  In fact, it might argue for
>> nondeterminism.
> I like to distinguish determinism from predictability.  If I understand
> your concept of twitch, there is no choice to be made, but the outcome
> of coupled, cascading twitches (actors acting interactively?) can only
> be determined by running the twitching simulation forward?

That's right, there is no choice to be made.  However, the twitch might
sample the space randomly or by some determined algorithm.  I don't know.

--
glen  =><= Hail Eris!