Glen -

This is twitchin awesome! But for some unexplained reason, I feel pithed about it. (lame puns intended, punning being one of *my* twitches).

I'm still enjoying my illusion of free-will and get a little skitchy around overstated pre-determination (or a fully mechanistic model of the universe?). This is probably just a twitch itself?

I do think that a great deal of what we (think we) do consciously is some level of "twitch" as you call it. Coupled dynamical systems, all of us in one great grand ensemble of twitching frog-legs all wired together... or in Stephenson's Diamond Age like the "Drummers" (sorry Carl). I also accept the idea that *much* of what we think we understand or control is just a post-hoc rationalization of what happened without even our involvement much less understanding.

You have referred to yourself in the past as a "simulant" which I took to mean that you are a professional creator of "simulations" (simulation scientist?) despite the fact that it was too close to "Replicant" from Blade Runner and sounded more like you were claiming that "you" were just a somewhat modularized region in a giant simulation.

This of course wanders me into Fredkin/Wolfram/Chaitin land where their digitally updated version of Leibnitz' Monist Metaphysics is expressed variously as Digital Philosophy or Digital Physics.

In some circles it is a truism the "we are what we eat"... which suggests that someone who "eats simulations" for a living is likely to "become a simulation" at least in their own mind. Or perhaps it is your twitch that you *are* a simulation scientist *because* you see the world as one grande simulation and the ones you create and execute are just modularized simulations within the simulation?

In my offline conversations with Rich Murray, it is becoming apparent that we (he and I) share the feeling that by giving over to "consciousness" being *at best* the unique ability to observe (but maybe not to effect) the unfolding universe. It is why I am entertained by such as Bohm's Rheomode and of course Digital Physics/Philosophy... the possibility that even if "I" am mostly an illusion, "I" am also not completely an illusion.

Oh Ego, twitch on you surly beast!
- Steve