glen wrote at 03/21/2013 06:36 AM:
> I forget when I read it, though.  I still have my copy
> somewhere; perhaps there are notes or something that will remind me when
> I read it first.  Thanks.

Yep.  Sure enough I have page 314 starred:

"We rode across Texas to Shreveport, Louisiana, where he left me to try
for north Arkansas.  I did not ask him if he had learned the truth in
California.  His face had learned it anyway, and wore the final wisdom
under the left eye.  The face knew that the twitch was the live thing.
Was all.  But, having left that otherwise unremarkable man, it occurred
to me, as I reflected upon the thing which made him remarkable, that if
the twitch was all, what was it that could know that the twitch was all?
 Did the leg of the dead frog in the laboratory know that the twitch was
all when you put the electric current through it?  Did the man's face
know about the twitch, and how it was all?  And if I was all twitch how
did the twitch which was me know that the twitch was all?  Ah, I
decided, that is the mystery.  That is the secret knowledge.  That is
what you have to go to Calfirnia to have a mystic vision to find out.
That the twitch can know that the twitch is all.  Then, having found
that uot, in the mystic vision, you feel clean and free.  You are at one
with the Great Twitch."

My copy seems to have been printed in 1982.  And I don't think I started
writing in the margins of books until my senior year in high school
(1985).  So, this would definitely be one of the, if not the, earliest
influences for my awareness of the twitch ontology.

--
=><= glen e. p. ropella
They got the future precisely laid out as I need.