Steve Smith wrote at 03/21/2013 10:24 AM:
> I'll see your "King's Men" and raise you a"Stone Junction"
> <http://books.google.com/books/about/Stone_Junction.html?id=woneSCNLbrYC> by
> Jim Dodge

Ordered!

> When Glen writes his "great american novel" (surely to be also an
> alchemical potboiler, a digital noir happening, an outlaw epic?) all his
> (published on paper or internet, indexed by Google) forgotten influences
> and sources will be exposed.   His Twitch will be a folding of the
> origami paper, or perhaps a pull of the taffy.

Unfortunately, I think the novel is dead as a format for story telling.
 It may return if peak oil or a zombie apocalypse obtains.  But overall,
I think it's efficacy is dwindling rapidly.  I still like them because
that's the way I was trained.  But I find them increasingly difficult to
read ... the surrounding people, devices, and non-fiction books with
good indices draw my attention away from novels.  I'll play a video game
for 6 hours.  But I won't read a novel for 6 hours.  Even when I do
manage to read for a long time, it sparks ideas that I have to write
down or pause to look something up in another book.  I am no longer
linear ... or even first order continuous.

--
=><= glen e. p. ropella
The dog is dead and the sacrifice is done