From the engineering side no bug is on purpose - they are errors of omission not commission. How marketing/customer support puts their spin on it is another matter. Whether or not developers fix the customer identified bugs will probably be an economic decision or cost-benefit analysis using something like ($cost to fix C/no. customers affected N) - the lower the ratio the more likely action will be taken. I suspect for Google if N is close to 1 nothing will happen regardless.

What do others on the list think?

Thanks
Robert C

On 3/24/13 2:53 PM, Nicholas Thompson wrote:

Now you all know, that, ever since Owen first used the word "top bit" in my presence, nearly a decade ago, I have followed, with rapt attention, the use of language on this list. So, you guys. I need to understand this better. Can a "bug" be "on purpose"? It sounds to me like Google has sabotaged its own product, right. Therefore, if I understand the language, any Nexus phone thatactually worked, would be "buggy"., by definition. I am sorry to bother you about this, but these are the kinds of things that keep me awake at night. N

*From:*Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] *On Behalf Of *Douglas Roberts
*Sent:* Sunday, March 24, 2013 1:44 PM
*To:* The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
*Subject:* [FRIAM] Just sent this to the Google Device Support Team

/Hi, Google Device Support Team./

/It's been a while since we spoke, but I recently discovered that someone in your organization has been (I hope inadvertently) disseminating inaccurate information about this Nexus 4 <https://productforums.google.com/forum/#%21msg/mobile/l4uYRMVHnHY/rHpsXdwNGPcJ> bug, and I thought you'd want to know about it right away. /

/Here's the deal: you see, we all know that the Nexus 4 was not designed *on purpose* to prevent wifi and bluetooth from being used at the same time. We all know that it is a bug. Well, all of us except for Steve, apparently. Here, read for yourselves: /

/http://things-linux.blogspot.com/2013/03/translated.html/

/Now, we all have the utmost confidence that someone in your organization will immediately take Steve aside for a private little counselling session about the inappropriateness of, shall we say, /bending the truth/ regarding this particular flaw in the Nexus 4 product./

/Thanks for your prompt attention to this matter./

/Best,/

/--Doug/

--

/Doug Roberts