Nick,

Even a former English major ought to be able to faithfully transcribe a short
phrase from the
second line of the first sentence of a two-paragraph, three-sentence e-mail
that is actually
included a few inches below the locus of his transcription...

On the other hand, if it weren't for the long history of paleography, scribal
errors, and
variorum editions, the structure that for hundreds of years supported the
"English major" (and
other "literature majors") might never have existed in the form the former
English major may
have encountered stumbling about on its last legs, before it was finally
utterly replaced by
the Higher Nonsense.

Lee Rudolph

P.S. No one should forget the old "high-byte"--at least, no one who ever dealt
with WordStar.