Nick -

As much as this crowd (the vocal subset) likes to speculate (self acutely implicated) about all kinds of things, I suspect that for many of us, this speculation is anything but idle. I don't know our precise demographics but I believe we are top loaded with many over-60's which means that most of us have been preceded in death by at least one parent, maybe a sibling, a spouse, or other peers and in some cases even, a child or protege. This is not academic, it is real and personal.

I also think (as Glen points out?) the baby-boom hump slamming into the health care system and society at large is a very real phenomenon which society at large (boomers and our children in particular) will have to deal with very personally.

I like your use of the term "Death Escort" and don't know if I accept Glen's quibble of "Dying Escort", though I suppose it is literally more accurate except maybe in the case of suicide pacts. I feel that my wife, her mother, and I (with minor help from the other 7 children and some professional caregivers) escorted her father to the gates of death as graciously as could be asked. In another time, he might have been allowed a tattered blanket and a place on the ice floe or in a lean-to far enough from camp to not have to worry about his ghost or evil spirits (germs?) to visit the camp itself. This too, if part of the social contract he lived within, would have been graceful as well.

My own father was fast-marched off by an overworked, underpaid, and sadly calloused system that knew only how to change his diaper and alarm his wheelchair. My mother and sister tried to attend, but not to his death, to keeping him here until ... well... I don't know. I myself tried to attend him to his death, but was trumped (as it should be) by his lifetime partner's wishes to keep him present. I spent a week alone with him each year, including by circumstance the week after my mother's fall. Up until this last session, I spent the week encouraging him to tell what stories he had left in him, even though I had heard them many times. It felt to be an important part of helping him wind down and wind up. In my last week alone with him, he was no longer able to articulate anything but his constant state of sheer puzzlement about who/what/where he was. So instead of escorting him on toward the gates of death, I escorted him through a daily grind of confusion and visits to his life-partner who he no longer knew, but seemed to recognize in some distant way. But I did that for her, not him. For him, a more graceful thing to do would have been to help him fill his pockets with rocks and go for a swim in the lake. (This is a line my wife and I used with each other during her Fathers long escort unto death... "are those rocks in your pockets, are are you just going for a swim?") In their lucid years, both of them would have professed to want this.

Many here probably feel they would not be alive today (or would be badly maimed or compromised) if not for the medical system. Others probably have worked within it or chosen partners who have. So I know it is confrontational to many to suggest that the Medical System (from the AMA to Medical School to the Insurance Industry and Pharma (big, medium or small)) is as much a threat to our (spiritual if not physical) health as anything. I still use over the counter medicines (Ibuprofen, VitC, H2O2,...) and would probably ask a medical professional to set my leg if I were to break it, or maybe even throw me some antibiotics if I were to obtain an infection that appeared to be beyond the capability of my own immune system and metabolism to cope. But beyond that I am very leery of a system that needs us to have bought into it at so many levels (financially, personally, practically, emotionally, ???). In my estimation, it is no better than our (broken) financial system and our (deeply compromised) political system. I do NOT have 911 in my speed dial.

In response to Nick's statement about being given a formal death sentence (with a date)... I know people who have used this information to very good effect, and others for whom it was devastating.

I used to ask myself two questions: "What would I do today if I knew I were going to die tomorrow?" and "What would I do today if I knew I were going to live forever?". The answers have always been remarkably similar and just to be snarky, one would think neither question would be answered by "Write a massive missive to FRIAM"; yet, somehow my behaviour suggests otherwise. Or is it just a question of "the excluded middle"? I suppose I have nothing better to do?

Which reminds me!

Toodles,
 - Steve
PS. Enjoy those Sundays... while I indulge myself in one final cathartic 50 page posting to FRIAM, where I tell everyone here "what I *really* think!" ;)

Glen wrote:

*/The trick is whether the _cattle_ who are heading toward their slaughter are self-aware enough to understand that they're going to die/*

Point taken. But, you know. Just to wax philosophical in exactly the sense that enrages Doug, I don't think we know our own death's, do we? We know bereavement, we know illness and pain and decline, but we don't know death. So, when the Death Escort accompanies me to the Doors of Death, s/he will not know any more about where I am going than the Judas Steer. There is, so far as I know, no point of view that is the point of view of the dead. I always fantasize that the hardest thing about being told one is going to die in N weeks is what to do in the meantime, given that I have no future. (Speaks the true Apollonian; no Dionysian I) Now, that's where a Death Escort might come in handy.

Being a diabetic, I plan to eat a lot of hot-fudge sundaes, but beyond that I have no plans.

Nick