As far as I'm concerned GZ's case is not worthy of national coverage. CNN or Huffington Post have `human interest' stories interleaved with their copied AP stories. Dogs that ride bicycles, etc. It's that. Sit in the municipal court waiting room for a while and you'll hear worse.
When I worked as a PI I was required to sit through worse... to be put on the stand and asked inane questions by both sides, then ignored, and told to "answer the question!" by the judge while nobody was interested in anything real, except me (and the defendant usually), and then only barely (after the first few hazings).

I don't respect courtrooms much anymore. Add media and the zoo becomes a circus worthy of Roman spectacle.