Glen/Marcus -

Once again, lots of good back-forth here. I can't claim to follow each of the subthreads of your arguments and in the interest of not flooding the airwaves with my nonsense have been holding back a bit.
I've been having lots of good conversations about the distinction between "identity" and "self" on other mailing lists lately. In particular, you are not who you _think_ you are. This type of internally negotiated truth seems to relate ... or, more likely, I'm just a muddy thinker.
I am reminded of the aphorism "I am who you think I think I am". This has to be unpacked thoroughly to be appreciated for it's (fairly tautological) truth. I think this 2 levels of indirection is both the least and most that is appropriate.
Internally negotiated truth is not a bug. It's a feature. The trick is that organizational truth is negotiated slower than individual truth. And societal truth is even more inertial.
I think this is a very key concept... and while I whinge at the implied "moral relativism" in this talk-talk, I think it is not that. I think some of our discussions about "what is Science" a while back relates to this. To the uninitiated, it might sound as if Scientific Truth were a simple popularity contest. Were that true, I think that the ratio of the circumference of a circle to it's diameter *would be* precisely "3" inside the state of Kansas (and probably many of the Red States?). But this doesn't mean that truth isn't in some sense also negotiated... I don't have a clear way to express this, but appreciate that this conversation is chipping away at the edges of this odd conundrum.
In some cases (Manning and the Army, Snowden and CIA/NSA/BAH), individual's have a higher turnover (material as well as intellectual and emotional) than organizations, it makes complete sense to me that a ladder-climber would lose sight of their motivations by the time they reached the appropriate rung on the ladder. (I think this is very clear in Obama's climb from community organizer to president.) And, in that context, the slower organizational turnover should provide a stabilizer for the individual (and society should provide a stabilizer for the organizations).
"truth" is like encrypted or compressed symbol streams which require a certain amount of context to decompress and/or decrypt. If you don't have the proper codebook/keys/etc... you either have nonsense or at least poorly rendered versions. Obama's "truth" may have been highly adaptive in the context of the community organizing context but not so much as president (this was the best argument against his candidacy) but then we WERE looking for HOPE and CHANGE (well, something like 50% were) which *requires* injecting some new perspective into the context.

The real trick is whether these negotiated truths have an objective ground, something to which they can be recalibrated if/when the error (distance between their negotiated truth and the ground) grows too large. I don't know if/how such a "compass" is related to the health of an organization. But it seems more actionable than health ... something metrics like financials or social responsibility might be more able to quantify.

I have a hard time imagining a fully objective ground, only one with a larger base perhaps? What is a negotiated/negotiateable truth across a whole "tribe" might be served by negotiating across a larger group (think federation), and across a whole broad category of "culture" (e.g. Western, etc.). or even interspecies (primate/cetacean?)... but It isn't clear to me how to obtain this kind of "greater truth" outside of the context of those for/by whom it is to be experienced?

- Steve