Glen wrote:

"But the old style, autocratic, specialize everything, command and control
structure doesn't need such motivation."

Well, I mean some mental models have to develop at the various levels of
the organization.  I used the term `motivation' to mean the process of
understanding enough of a sub-problem to propose a solution.  If the
problem is hard, the it may have to be sent out to all of the leaves of the
organization and come back to even determine feasibility.  On the other
hand, if there is a small super-knowledgeable and super-capable cadre of
workers, there is less of this percolation to wait on..

Marcus