Roger -
I would rework Steve's explanation. Just as infants babble to learn the correct sounds for their native language by feedback, older children babble explanations to see what works. Unfortunately, correctly formed explanations can be uninformed opinions or fallacious reasonings or imaginary evidence, and flawed as they are they can still sound true to some social population, so people get positive feedback for ridiculous explanations and build up self-consistent systems of explanations. Voila, the party of tea or the birthers or the church of scientology or sociologists crafting a bespoke vocabulary for linear algebra.
I do like this model of how language, even knowledge and understanding are formed. It is about mutation (babbling) an fitness (what works). In children, it seems (semi) obvious as it does later in all kinds of clicques and cults of personality. In Science, presumably, this is the scientific method: Forming a hypothesis (babbling) then seeing if it works (doing an experiment, taking data, comparing it to the hypothesis).

In this light, I entertain GEPRs (Glen) elaboration. I have come to resonate with his description of "language as grooming" within reason. And I use "resonate" deliberately, because I think this is the heuristic that we, the hairless apes use as we sit about over coffee (or keyboard, or at the barber/beauty shop). And as Glen indicated, when we have nothing to talk about, we talk on anyway, testing our current resonance... call and response... If we fail to get a hearty "hallelujiah" from the choir, then we check our sermon, tweak it and try again, this time with more conviction.

It may be this "need to find resonance" that brought us (in part) scientific study... preaching to nature and waiting for *it's* hallelujia

I really enjoyed reading http://chronicle.com/article/Why-Cant-the-Sciencesthe/142239/ this morning. It's all about the evidence and the reasons.

-- rec --