I think the article's plea to see the liberal arts and sciences as a united
front pursuing evidence and reason based explanations has something to do
with Lee's rant about semantic infelicities between disciplines.  They're
all doing the same thing for a fuzzy enough definition of thing.

In particular they all steal vocabulary shamelessly as they struggle to
name the stuff that appears to be important, so words reappear with
different meanings in different disciplines over and over again.  This
makes it easy to generate interdisciplinary snark about how those
barbarians murder the language and ignore the established meanings.  And it
makes it hard for interdisciplinary work to proceed at all if the
terminological confusion gets sufficiently messy.

The OED's first citation for recursion is 1616.  Vector had a meaning
before physicists appropriated it, it's still finds technical use in a
sense closer to the original latin outside linear algebra contexts.

And even when they use the same sub-discipline to describe the same kinds
of phenomena, as when biologists use chemical thermodynamics (sometimes
re-branded as "bioenergetics"), the usages can diverge because the
phenomena diverge.  Though the molecules of biology are just as much
molecules as the molecules of chemistry, they don't get studied in the same
contexts, and the biological polypeptides, polynucleotides, and
polysaccharides are pretty much left by chemists as a problem for the
biologists.

I think your ability to find these sorts of semantic hiccups is only
limited by your appetite to look.

-- rec --