Ray -

Great real-world report... my direct experience in all this is dated by at least 6 years, but most of it nearly 10 years old now... time flies!

The only question I have about your response below is about the question of bandwidth... while *some* important data/secrets are large, many are not... a leak is a leak, no? And an effective (albeit low bandwidth) covert channel can leak a LOT over enough time?

- Steve
WRT the Covert Channels paper -

Header extensions and IP options are not actually practical channels. They sound good but in practice they run afoul of the problem that network equipment, particularly routers, process packets in hardware - unless they have unusual extensions or IP Options, in which case the packets are thrown up to the software layer. That means they will be slower, all through the Internet, and they are easily detected.

We've used the IPID trick but not for a cover channel. We wanted to be able to distinguish our traffic from actual attackers (use control for red teams), so we created an HMAC of the packet and inserted the first few bytes into the IPID field. At the target's end, they can use a tool fed from tcpdump or other appropriate tool and check whether the IPID bytes match our expected value - we use a shared secret salt.

Most of the other tricks are low bandwidth - not really useful for gigabytes of information.

The two most commonly used covert channels in current malware are http and DNS. The sheer volume of http makes it impractical to catch all requests - many typical, public, web-pages include requests to dozens of web-sites other than the primary one. The many web-bug tricks and advertising spyware activities make this a really large pool of bits in which an adversary can hide. We've used the trick of sending data out as DNS lookups against customer networks and it works like a charm. We literally showed a security manager (later the CISO for the organization) the exfiltration and he didn't believe it twice, despite the evidence of displaying the exfiltrated file on our external web-site.

I have a copy of the Loki source code (very clean) and sending unrequested ICPM echo responses still works in some places. The author of Loki, who went by the name Mixter, created another covert channel that simply uses alternate IP protocols. Some routers will route any IP protocol by default while others will only route those IP protocols explicitly specified.

Ray Parks
Consilient Heuristician/IDART Program Manager
V: 505-844-4024  M: 505-238-9359  P: 505-951-6084
NIPR: rcpa...@sandia.gov <mailto:rcpa...@sandia.gov>
SIPR: rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov <mailto:rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov> (send NIPR reminder)
JWICS: dopa...@doe.ic.gov <mailto:dopa...@doe.ic.gov> (send NIPR reminder)