I am amused at the "State-Sponsored Malware" segment - the two papers cover the
two extremes of the range of activities.

One up and coming area that the course covers peripherally but not directly is
the new/old vulnerabilities in mobile apps.  When Tim B-L invented the
World-Wide Web, his model for use was that every user would have a web-page,
their home page, and users would visit each others' pages - a peer-to-peer
model in which each participant operated a web-server as well as a web-browser.
 As the WWW was commercialized, it morphed into a loose client-server model in
which web-servers are the province of those with content and resources while
most users are consumers using a browser.  The architecture of smartphones and
apps is such that it is a return to the original model but with a twist.
Almost all apps on smartphones are both a web-browser-client and a web-server.
This means that all of the vulnerabilities and mistakes that still exist
throughout the WWW web-servers are being reproduced in smartphone apps.

As far as privacy is concerned - I'm surprised that there is no discussion of
"big data" and how to attack it to protect one's privacy.

Ray Parks
Consilient Heuristician/IDART Program Manager
V: 505-844-4024  M: 505-238-9359  P: 505-951-6084
NIPR: rcpa...@sandia.gov
SIPR: rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov (send NIPR reminder)
JWICS: dopa...@doe.ic.gov (send NIPR reminder)