What I think I'm hearing from Glen is that while it's nice to use power-planers
and router tables to shape wood, one should know how to use the right type of
hand-plane, chisels, and scrapers in case you lose electric power.

In terms closer to most on the list - programming in the scripting language du
jour is fine for productivity, but just in case it falls out of fashion and
loses support, you should be able to fall back on a HLL, and, just in case,
assembly.

In both of my examples, learning the more primitive methods means that one
learns the foundational knowledge that makes using the modern methods easier
and higher in quality.

Ray Parks
Consilient Heuristician/IDART Program Manager
V: 505-844-4024  M: 505-238-9359  P: 505-951-6084
NIPR: rcpa...@sandia.gov
SIPR: rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov (send NIPR reminder)
JWICS: dopa...@doe.ic.gov (send NIPR reminder)