Well said Carl!

+1 for spending some time on the ‘fundamentals’  but also an acknowledgement
that choosing the proper level of ‘fundamentals’ is also very important,  and
indeed sometimes it is the outsider/maverick that makes new progress in a field
just because they don’t know the ‘proper’ way to approach a problem.

—joshua