While we’re on this subject, I wonder how much regional difference there is in
how differently “b” and “v” are pronounced in Spanish-speaking countries. Here
in Ecuador, at least the campesinos (less educated country folks) pronounce
them identically. For that reason, I very commonly see the same word spelled
differently (baca or vaca, barilla or varilla). I believe that more educated
folks tend to pronounce “v” more like in English, although much softer. How
about in Spain?

Even in such a small country as Ecuador, there are many regional differences in
pronunciation, for example in certain regions, double L is pronounced sort of
like “jy”, i.e. llave is pronounced almost “JYAH-vay” or “ZHAH-vay", while in
other regions, it is more “YA-vay”.

Gary