My brother-in-law is from Bogota, Colombia, and he pronounces most "y"s and
"ll"s as a hard "j".

Brent

________________________________
 From: Tom Johnson <t...@jtjohnson.com>
To: "Friam@redfish. com" <friam@redfish.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2014 11:40 PM
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Spelling of Spanish Surnames

Well, since we've gone this far...
I have yet to land on a singular pronunciation of "yo.". It can vary from the
hard Y as in "Joe" to "yo" like yo-yo.
My preliminary observation: the farther south one goes in LatAm, the
harder/stronger the "y", as in "Joe".  But better data is clearly needed.  I
wonder if linguists have done any mapping of Spanish as has been done for
American usages?
-TJ
On Feb 23, 2014 6:50 PM, "Steve Smith" <sasm...@swcp.com> wrote:

On 2/23/14 6:36 PM, Frank Wimberly wrote:

>Xavier and Xalapa come to mind.   Both those “x”s are pronounced like “h”.
and Me"h"ico!