I really enjoyed the mix of old and new on this one....

http://www.learningprocessing.com/examples/chapter-17/example-17-4/

My first "Computer Graphics" program was a program that allowed you to place charges of different magnitudes on a plane and then calculated the "field strength" on the plane and plotted it on a line-printer. Of course I *then* did some *character* image printing, imagining I was *inventing it* myself... I suspect it was the first thing anyone did with the first line-printer that allowed overprinting!