I'm stepping in quite late to answer one of John's questions. He asserted
that what I see is what enters my eyes and what you see is what enters your
eyes, and therefore we never "really" see the same thing. (I am
paraphrasing, obviously.)

I would assert that we are in is a place where "plain language" philosophy
can help us out. Certainly what you see is not what enters your eyes. You
never "see" complex patterns of light, you see THINGS by virtue of your
sensitivity to light. Your perceptual world is full of objects and events,
and those are the things you see, hear, smell, etc. (Invoke James Gibson
here.) This is why we can talk about seeing different sides of "the same
thing", because we agree that we are seeing the same thing.

One big problem in psychology (and epistemology) is that people get a
little bit of scientific knowledge and then they start loosing track of the
thing to be explained. Descartes, for instance, was interested in how we
see the things around us, and he did a perfectly sensible thing: He leaned
about the eye ball. In so doing, he learned that there was an inverted
image on the back of the retina (and for now we will avoid discussion of
how ubiquitous that phenomenon). This was a perfectly legitimate discovery,
and it was reasonable to think that part of the explanation for "how we see
objects" would involve understanding the role of this inverted image.
However, rather than proceed with that, Descartes suddenly started asking
how we see the inverted retinal image. Uhg, so many unnecessary confusions
were created by this poorly conceived question! We need to try to avoid
this.

Incidentally, to belatedly comment on Steve's post: I am of the opinion
that most neuroimaging work in psychology is motivated by similar
confusions. That is not to say that fMRI and EEG can tell us nothing, but
that we are not getting anywhere trying to use it to answer such poorly
conceived questions.

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Lab Manager
Center for Teaching, Research, and Learning
American University, Hurst Hall Room 203A
4400 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20016
phone: (202) 885-3867   fax: (202) 885-1190
email: echar...@american.edu