The real "issue" is that we're all a mess.  The surprise isn't that
attempts to change things for the better fail, the miracle is that anything
works at all.

The more we collectively learn, the more ignorant we all individually
become, and there isn't any *authority* that can tell us which part of our
ignorance needs the most attention.  Being smarter just gives us greater
potential for being ignorant, there's more stuff that we could have learned
but haven't.

I started watching the Hamming lectures, again, yesterday.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2FF649D0C4407B30  He stands up
there in front of his Naval Postgraduate School class, does a
back-of-the-envelope calculation of what's implied by a doubling time of 17
years for the sum of scientific knowledge, and says (paraphrased from
memory):  in 40 years one of you will be Chief of Staff, and there will be
5 times as much scientific knowledge relevant to your work as there is
today, that's quite a problem.

I found the book of the lectures,
http://worrydream.com/refs/Hamming-TheArtOfDoingScienceAndEngineering.pdf,
the printed continuation to the episode above is:

What is my answer to this dilemma? One answer is you must concentrate on
> fundamentals, at least what
> you think at the time are fundamentals, and also develop the ability to
> learn new fields of knowledge when
> they arise so you will not be left behind, as so many good engineers are
> in the long run. In the position I
> found myself in at the Laboratories, where I was the only one locally who
> seemed (at least to me) to have a
> firm grasp on computing, I was forced to learn numerical analysis,
> computers, pretty much all of the
> physical sciences at least enough to cope with the many different
> computing problems which arose and whose
> solution could benefit the Labs, as well as a lot of the social and some
> the biological sciences. Thus I am a
> veteran of learning enough to get along without at the same time devoting
> all my effort to learning new
> topics and thereby not contributing my share to the total effort of the
> organization. The early days of
> learning had to be done while I was developing and running a computing
> center. You will face similar
> problems in your career as it progresses, and, at times, face problems
> which seem to overwhelm you.

What are the fundamentals of our social-political-economic life together?

If we removed the influence of money from politics, would everything
suddenly be clear?  No, it would still be 5 times more confusing than it
was 39 years ago.  "If we could just make _those_ idiots shut up" is not a
solution, because we are all objectively idiots and 5 times more idiotic
than we were 39 years ago.  If you squint, you might wonder if the Mayday
PAC is all that different from the Republican efforts to disenfranchise the
poor, they're both focused on solving the problem "why is my side not in
control?" by removing the other side from the game.

Your side is not in control because you're idiots and you have no
persuasive ideas about what to do, not because the idiots on the other side
are richer or more numerous.

-- rec --