From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of Steve Smith
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2015 10:06 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] clueless technology question

Nick -

I don't believe I've seen anyone answer you on this.

I've been using bluetooth headphones for about 4 years now and just got a
new pair... I don't *expect* mine to work beyond maybe a few yards...
occasionally I leave my phone in my truck and walk away while listening to a
podcast... and notice that they tend to start breaking up and cut out at
10-15 meters...  though this is without any hard walls between... though
maybe the shell of my vehicle is worse?     At home I never test them beyond
maybe 5 meters and never expect them to work through walls.

If they are specced at 30 (of course it depends on the quality of the
*other* end of the pair as well) meters then I'd expect them to work
moderately past half of that with nothing in the way.  My understanding is
that the body itself can block signal too, so the fact that you might have
them on your head (as they are designed to be used) and your entire torso
(lean as you might be) could be between the endpoints, could have a big
effect.

What is your use case for distances greater than a few meters?  Were you
hoping to walk around the house listening to a podcast or making phone
calls?   It is a reasonable thing to want, but I guess I haven't imagined it
for myself yet, despite the specs suggesting longer range.

Hi, everybody,

Does anybody out there use Bluetooth headphones with their computer?  I was
given a pair for Christmas (sony mdr-10rbt) which is specified to operate at
ten meters. I have them paired on my computer with a CSR 4.0 dongle which is
supposed to get 30 plus meters.  Together I can barely get 4 meters out of
them.   Sony has agreed to send me new phones, but I didn't get the feeling
that their technical folks had any idea what was going on.  They couldn't
answer questions like, "well have you been getting a lot of these back?"  I
suspect it's either an "environmental problem" or just a limitation not
reflected in the specifications, and that a new set of phones is not going
to solve the problem.   Does anybody have any experience with this
technology?

Thanks,

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson