If Greece is unmoored from the Eurozone, there's still NATO.   The sharp end of
the stick on that isn't Germany.

From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of Pamela McCorduck
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2015 10:13 AM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Greek Crisis & Philosophy

Post World War II Germany was horrible for a couple of years with exactly the
kinds of problems you mention, Nick: penicillin could only be had on the black
market (i.e., from unscrupulous GIs); food was scarce; labor was mostly women
moving bricks from bombed buildings by hand (die Trummelfrauen).  Then came the
Marshall Plan. But Thomas Piketty has complained (to one of the major German
newspapers yesterday) that Germany was forgiven its debts in 1950, when it was
clear the country could never pay it off-only then came the Wirtschaftswunder,
the Economic Miracle.

Plenty of blame to go around here. And if Greece is unmoored from Europe, you
can see Putin moving in-naval bases, missiles, even. He's a nasty character to
get into bed with, but when no one else offers you a blanket...

On Jul 6, 2015, at 10:45 PM, Nick Thompson