About 10, maybe 15 years ago, I predicted that phones (still flip or candy-bar
at the time - before the first iPhone) would become like the Palm Pilots and
would evolve into an integrated system with our desktops and laptops.  The
communication flow would be from our phone into the "cloud" (not called that at
the time) through the Internet backbones and back in through our work-place (or
home) ISP and, eventually, to the computer across the room.

That does happen to some extent with current technology.  I think that
Microsoft is closer to that than Android and Apple is just about there.

The reason I was thinking about this scenario is that I was looking at future
attack paths - the necessarily convoluted communication path would provide lots
of opportunity to man-in-the-middle the systems.  In the context of a secure
facility, this would provide the ability to enter without physically entering.
At the time, the only real wireless was WiFi which was not available in phones.
 IRdA was just not a reliable, across-the-room, comm channel.

Now, of course, it's possible but not reliably supported for the devices
(phone, tablet, laptop, workstation, server) to communicate directly - WiFi,
Bluetooth, and NFC - and synchronize.  The big issue with synchronization is
coherence and consistency - the problem that has existed for decades and still
exists with distributed databases.  If one looks at the email, web-history,
cookies, logins, documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and code of a computer
user as a large collection of data, then synchronization means that each of
those will appear the same to the user no matter what device she's using.
However, there are only two ways to ensure that happens - one device is
authoritative for some subset of that data or all devices have duplicates of
all the data.  Both require reliable communications in human real-time (i.e. if
one starts to look at an image on one device, decides a bigger screen is
necessary, and turns to another device, the image should be the same in the
time it takes to do that).  Total redundancy means that communication does not
have to be available at all times - just when something changes on one device.
Partitioned data (whether based on role or point of creation) requires reliable
communication at all times.

We'll see if my vision and yours will arrive in the near future or be another
flying car.

Ray Parks
Consilient Heuristician/IDART Old-Timer
V: 505-844-4024  M: 505-238-9359  P: 505-951-6084
NIPR: rcpa...@sandia.gov
SIPR: rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov (send NIPR reminder)
JWICS: dopa...@doe.ic.gov (send NIPR reminder)