EliteBook(s) are a solid choice
*disclaimer* - I work at HP now... but my add:

Elite is HP's "best" commercial-class family.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/elite-products/benefits.html
Benefits include:
+ typically, Notebooks are Mil-Spec tested - they really are solid, well
engineered and well built
+ US-based "Elite" warranty support (yep, in Rio Rancho - knowledgeable
folks)
+ Newer models include HP BIOSphere with sure start. - Not a standard
commercial BIOS - written specifically by HP with state-of-the-art (but
proprietary) self-healing. Good Stuff.
+ generally more serviceable than other NB's - with replaceable parts as
opposed to soldered and/or glued-in components from others
- can be expensive, but AMD proc options will save some money ...

HP ProBook - the "better" lineup, but also very solid
+ good products, good value
+ warranties vary, but if you add a warranty uplift ("CarePack"*) you get
routed to the same RR-based support group (different number, same people)

* even a $10-$15 Digital Media Retention (DMR) coverage gets you full
US-based support

All can be purchased from HP's Business eCommerce site -
http://store.hp.com/us/en/mlp/business-solutions/laptops-and-workstations
look for "SmartBuys (pre-discounted BTO's end with "UT") or go online
elsewhere and look for refurbs

Any consumer-grade product from any manufacturer will not have the same
quality or be as well engineered as commercial units

Chromebooks can be an option - IF:
 You will always have a WiFi connection
 You don't mind a "throw-away" - they're generally not higher-end units,
most cannot be serviced (some HP's can) and don't plan on having it more
than 12 months.
 They're cheap for a few reasons. 1) No MSoft OS, 2) mostly low-end
processors and 3) they're built as cheap "commodity-boxes" - when it breaks
you toss it and get another.

NUC's are fun. I'd wait to get one with a Skylake proc.

Hope that helps :-)

Mark

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 5:51 PM, Nick Thompson <nickthomp...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

> Gill,
>

> I have had good luck with my HP “Elitebook” which I got through my
> University.   My warrantee service was through folks down in Rio Rancho,
> which was really good because they actually spoke English AND I Knew Where
> To Find Them, and they knew it.  I am not sure how you have to buy it to
> achieve that connection, but perhaps through their business sales people.
> My only problem with the machine is that it has the stupidest volume
> control mechanism of anything invented since the 15th Century.   Better
> it should have mice with megaphones.
>

> *Nick *

*Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to
dance in the rain.*