From what you’ve said earlier, isn’t your computer like 9 years old?
In that case, most everything is probably so out of date that it might
be best to just give it to some geek that likes tinkering with old
stuff. If it were me, I would build one from scratch. Surely some nice
geeky guy or gal would help you, and you would learn a lot in the
process. Of course, that begs the question of what OS to put on it. MS
gives system builders good deals on OEM versions of their OS. Or, see
how you get along for a while with purely open source, i.e. Linux,
OpenOffice/LibreOffice. My $.02, probably worth about that much.