Nick,

Good question. Before I answer, lemme introduce some terminology. With respect to this discussion about "art", I admit that what I'm really getting at is my particular take on the "mythos versus logos" issue - with my notion of "art" falling on the "mythos" side.

In my notion of "art", the artist "sends a message" to an "audience" (receiver) - just like in information theory. But the difference lies is the _focus of interest_ in what happens once the message is received by the "audience" of the art. In information theory, the focus is on whether the message is received correctly, and associated probabilities and entropies. However, in my version of "art" (or mythos), I don't start getting interested at the time that the message is recieved. In fact, I don't get interested until this received message /evokes/ or /arouses/ retained information (memories?) that lies within the mind of the audience. Moreover such an evocation must become the focus of the attention of the audience (message receiver) before I am willing to say that "art has happened". (And, any attention on the part of the audience on the initial received message has been dropped at this point.) Usually, that evoked information represents an embellishment by the receiver and is often much richer than the direct content of the received message itself. It is this embellishment that is the focus of interest, and intent, of the artist - even though the artist does not directly control it.

In such a situation, my interest lies more in the multiple ways that these evocations on the part of different "audiences" might be different from each other. And I am less interested in how much they are the same. So, unlike Shannon, I'm not worried that any kind of "chance variation" has occurred across multiple listeners. In fact, as an artist, I am /celebrating/ that degree of chance variation rather than trying to reduce it - as I would be whenever I am engaging in "logos", such as when I am "doing science".

I'm simply saying that I observe such a phenomena taking place right in the middle of "artists doing art" - and it interests me. And that is what I call an "instance of art". I'm not arguing any particular point - only expressing an interest in a phenomenon that I observe.

HTH,
Grant