From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of glen
Sent: Monday, February 29, 2016 2:15 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Subjectivity and intimacy (lost in the weeks?)

Great answer!  However, it passes the buck to a new question.  You seem to be
implying that the only things that are "scientifically meaningful" are the
things that _construct_ science.  John's game doesn't (necessarily) involve the
construction of scientific meaning.  I read it purely as _applied science_ ...
the usage of scientific knowledge previously constructed.  Hence, for me, all
those observations are (1) scientifically meaningful.

[NST==>Glen.  I started to write a long cranky note, claiming to disagree with
this, but then I realized that I didn’t understand it.  Unless, you are arguing
… is this it? … that we can use a scientific abstraction to interpret an
observation which we could not use to construct a scientific abstraction.
<==nst]   I don’t think that is what John had in mind, but we will have to see.

To boot, if the system were instrumented, this new datum could be added to the
that out explicitly, then this would be a candidate for the construction of
scientific knowledge. (He did _imply_ it by mentioning things like blood
pressure, which is difficult to judge without instrumentation.

[NST==>Well we would need experimental or observational “control”, right?
That’s how one observation becomes a sibling to another.  <==nst]

The new question is: Is using scientific knowledge fundamentally distinct from
building scientific knowledge?

[NST==>Mmmmmmm!  That IS a question. <==nst]

 But more related to Russ' intentions for the thread, the question becomes "How
much intra-organism hysteresis can our scientific methods handle?"  Or, the
dual question: To what extent can we deal with inter-individual variation?
It's this topic, as a whole, and this last question, in particular, that force
me to argue that medicine is not science.  It's engineering ... aka applied
science.

--

⇔ glen