[NST==>I persist in not seeing the relevance of the physiological information
to the question of the nature of consciousness or, if one prefers, the question
of how it makes sense to talk about consciousness.  I assume [from my vast
store of ignorance] that computer folks would all agree that there is no
necessary isomorphism between the function that a computer performs and the
organization of the machine on which the performance is accomplished.

Progressively larger and more complex programs can run on 16, 32, bit and 64
address space machines.   Games can get by on single precision floating point
math, but scientific calculations usually require double precision (or more).
Scalability can be limited by the dimensionality of the network fabric, or by
the speed of latency or bandwidth of memory.   Some kind of combinatorics
problems can be done on serial processors, others can be done on massively
parallel graphics processors, some on custom integrated chips, and others may
require exploiting quantum entanglement and tunneling.

The hardware tells you about what is possible to feasibly compute given
constraints like power, heat dissipation, available operating temperatures. and
time.

Once the hardware is understood, then one can start to rationalize the
low-level software.  How are errors in signaling handled?  How does the system
adapt when operating conditions are not ideal?  How can multiple activities be
coordinated without one risking the other?

Once those low-level software is understood, then higher level behaviors can be
modeled.    Suppose the computing platform was a robot:  How are objects in the
vicinity converted from light signals (or radar, etc.) into geometric objects?
 Layer on that, how are geometry objects named?   Layer on that, how do named
objects relate to one another logically?   Keep going, you’ll eventually get to
semantics, philosophy, and so on.  All of these things could be described by
mathematical models, and that model _is_ the best available story of that level
of the cognitive entity.   Extending the metaphor to biology, the design
decisions aren’t really design of course, they are just circumstance of
evolutionary pressures.   They may have mathematical regularities across
species that are interesting, but it is not clear they must.

In this view, it’s not clear it is even worth talking about until the lower
levels of processing are understood to be the same or different.    I mean,
I’ll continue to talk to my dog, because I like to.