Motives are, however, purely mental constructs that are not directly observable.
[NST==>Another knee-slapper.  Granting to the author the notion that the word
“drive” is equivalent to some notion of “cause”, we learn that behaviors are
caused by purely mental constructs.  How could anything be “purely” mental if
it has behavioral consequences.  <==nst]

Well,  I can feel bad about something but nonetheless inhibit my behavior based
on an analysis of the selfish costs and benefits of intervening, or from fear.
The point is that patterns of activity could be categorized by type across
subjects, passively and quantitatively.   Whether those distinct types have any
one-to-one relationship to words we use in casual philosophical conversation is
unimportant.  It is interesting only to the extent that there is enough
scientific consensus about which symbol to assign to which type and that the
symbols get used in a consistent way.

Marcus