On 03/29/2016 04:16 PM, Robert Wall wrote:
Following on to Dave's thoughts on the relationship between anonymity and
freedom to express non-conforming opinions or behaviors, we can liken those
vehicles with totally blackened windows that allow some of their drivers to
have their basic, innate rudeness travel with them with impunity and anonymity.
 [For anecdotal evidence of this psychological phenomenon see for example this
study at
http://www.apa.org/ed/precollege/undergrad/ptacc/anonymity-driving-behavior.pptx]

According to Zhong & others (2010), "Even dimmed lighting or wearing sunglasses
increases people’s perceived anonymity, and thus their willingness to cheat or behave
selfishly."

I've always hated sunglasses and been suspicious of people who wear them.  I've
never really known why.  Growing up in Texas meant lots and lots of my friends
wore them almost any time they went outside.  I always thought it had something
to do with intimacy.  I just had a sense that sunglass wearers were
narcissistic somehow, like making eye contact was irritating to them.  Of
course, this is all conflated with the idea that some people are sensitive to
light, some wore prescription sunglasses, some were too lazy to take them off
when going inside or into the shade, those trying to hide blood-shot eyes, etc.
 Anyway, I had to look up the article:

   Good lamps are the best police: darkness increases dishonesty and
self-interested behavior.
   http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20424061
   https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100301122344.htm

I had a similar (but milder, I think) sense for tea-totallers, people who _conspicuously_
refuse to drink alcohol.  I feel like I got this from my dad's side of the family
(Prussian descendants) ... and it may be related to the sunglasses thing, since, when
they make a toast, it's imperative to make eye contact while drinking, as well as not
putting the drink down without taking a drink after a toast.  Either transgression was
fairly serious.  They simply didn't trust you if you put your drink down without drinking
or if yo8u fail to make eye contact during a toast.  If you made some polite excuse for
not having an alcoholic drink (like your prescriptions or your spouse will get mad at
you), it was (merely) adequate to toast with other liquids.  But if you _asserted_
something like "I don't drink" or something anti-social like that, you were not
(merely) untrustworthy.  You became (and usually stayed) an outsider.

Again, though, it's all about the subjective estimate of consequences.  People
who don't care about or understand those consequences, don't feel any pressure
to conform.

--
⇔ glen