Dear Nick

I firmly agree with John Kennison.

Develop their basic arithmetic, geometry and algebra at this age while
boosting their basic mental computational abilities (mental maths) .
Develop their foundations / concepts firmly. All this should be done
in a way so that it is not imposed on the child.

Calculus especially is a subject which the child has to be slowly
eased into and correlated to physical and biological phenomena. Some
non-US boards do this very well,eg. the IGCSE and the IB. Checkout
www.desertacademy.org in Santa Fe.

Sarbajit Roy
http://www.mathspro.in/