For those interested in authoritarianism, my favorite read is a classic
published in 1993 ("The Guru Papers:  Masks of Authoritarian Power").  I'd
call authors Joel Kramer and Diana Alstad spiritual realists.  The book is
mind-blowing.  I thought they were fearless when they later took on
Buddhism, but I don't think they ever published the essays (I have a copy.)

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 1:36 PM, gepr <geprope...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems to me that authoritarianism can be fostered without an organismic
> authority (like a king or priest class). Isn't the "rule of law" or a
> constitution intended to objectify the authority? If that's the case, then
> the psychological manipulation from things like religion or capital
> punishment can/could eventually become unnecessary to achieve an
> authoritarian state.

Merle Lefkoff, Ph.D.
President, Center for Emergent Diplomacy
Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
merlelef...@gmail.com
mobile:  (303) 859-5609
skype:  merle.lelfkoff2