Seems the question revolves around societies' morals. Jesse Prinz (a Distinguished Professor of Philosophy at the City University of New York) writing <https://philosophynow.org/issues/82/Morality_is_a_Culturally_Conditioned_Response> in Philosophy Now suggests that societies do not converge on a universal set of morals (unless driven by outside forces). Prof. Prinz goes on to discuss moral objectivism vs moral relativism and to justify the latter. So (it seems) what kind of state we tolerate depends on our shared and inculcated morality.
Robert C